What you will make:
This jumping bunny is a variation on the traditional origami leaping frog. Make a few folds and tap the bunny’s
back to see it hop. It is great for families or groups and with a little preparation by the adults or teen leaders, this project
is fast and fun.
Related craft: Try your hand at another origami
animal in the
Origami Flying Bird craft project.
Here's what you need:
- Paper or cardstock: 3" by 5"
- Crayons or markers
This project is rated AVERAGE to do.
How to Make a Jumping Origami Bunny
Read all of the steps before starting.
- Step 1: Project Preparation
Select paper or cardstock colors and precut blanks. The blanks for
the bunnies need to be approximately 3" by 5" (76 mm by
For best results, the blanks need to have straight sides and square corners. The
can vary if you want larger or smaller bunnies—just keep similar proportions.
Scraps of paper or cardstock in the same color are needed for the
ears. Strips about ½" by 1½" (1.25 cm by 4
cm) work well for the ears.
Tip: Younger children will need help with
- Step 2: Fold Bunnies
Follow the folding instructions carefully, referring to the illustration. Take your time and make neat, sharp creases.
- Place the card so the long edge is vertical to you.
- Take one top corner and fold it down until the top edge meets the side edge. Open flat. Repeat for the other corner.
- At this point, you should have two folds that form an "X" at the top of the card. Fold the card top back so that
a horizontal fold runs through the middle of the "X".
- Push top corners in on the fold lines to form a point.
- Fold the bottom corners of the triangle up to meet the top corner. (These will be the legs.)
- Fold the sides to the middle.
- Fold the bottom edge to the top point, then fold the top back to meet the fold just made.
- Turn the bunny over and pull the legs into position.
- Step 3: Finish Bunny
Cut two bunny ears from another piece of the same paper or
cardstock and glue or tape them to the bunny’s head.
Draw eyes and a nose on the bunny.
Tip: Leave off the ears to make the traditional leaping frog. Decorate the folded card in other ways to make different
leaping animals—cats, lizards, beetles, etc.
- Step 4: Make the Bunny Hop
The back of the bunny forms a Z-shape that acts as a spring. Tap the back of the bunny and the bunny will jump! Have a contest with your
friends to see which bunny jumps the highest or the farthest.
Tip: It takes a little practice to get the bunny to jump or hop straight without flipping over. Try to give a gentle tap
in the center of the back edge and adjust the legs to see what works best.
» » Keep up with Aunt Annie's Crafts on Facebook,
RSS feed or
with our newsletter.
Share this craft project with your friends and family