Origami Flying Bird
What you will make:
In this project, you'll see how to transform a square of paper with a
few folds into a bird that can be used on a gift package in place of a
bow. The flying bird has fewer folds than most origami birds,
including the classic origami crane. This makes it an ideal origami
craft project for beginning folders and children.
The birds can also be used to decorate a party table
or dress up a flower arrangement. Make one bird or a whole flock of
Related craft: See the
Floral Wire Mobile craft project to see how to make a
mobile with your origami flying birds!
Related craft: For another simple origami model, see
Jumping Origami Bunny
Here's what you need:
- 4" (10 cm) square origami paper in several colors or lightweight
paper to cut into squares
- Optional: Black marker, scissors, ruler, pencil, craft knife
and cutting mat
This project is rated EASY to do.
How to Make Origami Flying Birds
Read all of the steps before starting.
- Step 1: Project Preparation
Commercial 4" (10 cm) origami squares in bright colors are ideal
for folding the flying birds; however, other lightweight paper works
well, too. Simply cut 4" squares from any colorful paper you have
on hand; just be sure it's no heavier than computer paper. It's
important that the paper is cut in precise squares, but they can
vary from 4".
You can create your own colorful paper by printing
Aunt Annie's ePapers on one or both sides of white
computer paper. The
Animal Scales ePapers
work particularly well.
- Step 2: Fold
Carefully follow the folding instructions, using the illustration
as a reference. The dashed lines indicate folds, while the red lines
show creases already made. The red arrows are the direction of the
folds, and the black curly arrow means to turn the folded paper over.
- Make a diagonal crease. Fold the square in half,
corner-to-corner, then unfold.
- Fold the paper in half on the other diagonal. Leave folded.
- Fold the top layer back along the dashed line, so that the
edge meets the fold. Flip the paper over.
- Fold in half on the dashed line to form a smaller triangle
with a partial flap on top.
- Open the flap to form a point. Gently pull the point of the
flap up while folding the entire top layer in half to form the
new point. The points are the bird's head and tail—the new
point is the head.
- Create the first wing by folding the top layer up to form a
90° angle between the head and the wing.
- Fold the bottom layer back in the same manner to form the
- Fold both wings down along the dashed lines to make the bird
look as if it is flying!
- Push the front point on the head in and crease to form the
Add eyes to the bird with a black marker.
That's it! Make a whole flock of origami flying birds!
» » Keep up with Aunt Annie's Crafts on Facebook,
RSS feed or
with our newsletter.
Share this craft project with your friends and family